Removing a tree from your garden is not as easy as you might think. Many people don’t realise that most local councils have strict regulations surrounding tree removal and tree pruning. It might be the case that you can apply for a permit, but bear in mind that this will depend on the type of tree you want to remove (some trees are protected) and the region in which you live ( some regions restrict tree removal regardless of their size). So what do you need to do to remove a tree in the Shoalhaven? Here’s what you need to know.

Why Remove a Tree?

Why would you want to remove a tree? This is a question we are often asked because trees contribute so much to our environment and to the appearance of our neighbourhoods. The fact is that trees can grow to be enormous and sometimes they outgrow the site they have been planted on. You may be also worried that limbs of the tree may fall on to your house and cause damage. Another reason you may need trees removed is if you are planning to develop a plot of land. In these cases the site needs to be cleared of trees and other vegetation before construction can begin.

Tree Removal & Shoalhaven Council

If you live in the Shoalhaven you will almost always need to obtain approval before removing or pruning trees on your land. However, some trees are exempt and can be removed without consent. So how do you know where you stand? Consult the Shoalhaven’s website for detailed information on tree removal, or Contact the Council’s Environmental Services section on (02) 4429 3610.

Trees and Your Neighbours

It’s not uncommon for a tree to cause a neighbourly dispute. Overhanging branches, fruit dropping in yards, tree roots causing damage to properties and tree branches blocking sunlight are both annoying and very common problems. But what can you do? Well, the first step is to ask your neighbour to prune or remove the tree. If your neighbour refuses, unfortunately the Shoalhaven Council is unable to intervene. The next step for you would be to ask the advice of a tree surgeon. While this would be at your expense, the advice of a professional may just be enough to convince your neighbour. If this still fails, you can seek mediation through the Community Justice Centre or apply to the Land and Environment Court.